Characterisation Studies on SnO2 Thin Film Coatings over Solar Cells
Objective: To improve the reutilisation of heat lost due to convection from the cell to ambient air. For this purpose, initially parameter like efficiency of cell with tin oxide coating and fill factor of cell with tin oxide coating for various cross sections are envisaged.In the later stages the heat lost due to convection in predicted from the transient analysis on single cell considering it as a flat plate collector.
Methods/Statistical analysis: Experiments are conducted to apply a thin film-coating layer of tin oxide on solar cells (silicon wafers) by a thermal vapour process under high vacuum, followed by annealing with an objective of reducing the reflection.Theoretical analysis is carried out on single solar cell and on an array of cells (solar collector) to assess quantitatively the convection heat loss rate to the ambient air during the process of heat absorption by the cells.
Findings: The tests conducted with the nano-coated solar cells showed that the cell efficiency has increased from 24% without coating to 31% with an optimum coating 400 nm thicknesses has been found. The results of the theoretical analysis conducted on a single cell reveal a 2% saving in the heat loss from the cell with nano-coating compared to that without coating. As the coating thickness is increased from zero to 600nm the heat loss due to convection decreased monotonically from 461.4 to 452 W/m2.
Application/Improvements:These thin films can be used in various applications like gas sensors, solar cell and sensors.
- Rashmi Swami, S.K. Saha, M.J. Pal. Solar cells.International Journal of Science and Research. 2007, 2, 2250-2254.
- P.C. Choubey, A. Oudhia, R. Dewangan. Solar cell current scenario. Research in Science and Technology. 2012, 4(8), 99-101.
- Yadav, P. Kumar, Hoboken. Efficiency of PV cell basic principles to advanced concepts. International Journal of Science and Research. 2015, 4, 2642-2644.
- Shruti Sharma, K.K. Jain, Ashutosh Sharma. Solar cells in research and applications. Materials Sciences and Applications. 2015, 6, 1145-1155.
- AditiPareek, LataGidwani. Measured data of hourly global solar radiation. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2015, 2, 202-206.
- D. Hocine, M.S. Belkaid, T. Feng, K. Lagha. Influence of interfacial oxide layer thickness on conversion efficiency of SnO2/SiO2/Si (N) Solar Cells. Journal Applied Physics. 1978, 49, 3490-3497.
- Khuram Ali, S.A. Khan, M.Z. Mat Jafri. Effect of double layer (SiO2/TiO2) anti-reflective coating on silicon solar cells. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 2014, 9, 7865-7874.
- Sonya Calnan. Applications of oxide coatings in photovoltaic devices. Coatings. 2014, 4, 162-202.
- S.J. Ikhmayie. Properties of SnO2thin films prepared by thermal evaporation. International Journal of Materials and Chemistry. 2012, 2(4), 173-177.
- Poulier, D.S. Smith, J. Absi. Thermal conductivity of pressed powder compacts tin oxide and aluminium. Journal of European Ceramic Society Elsevier Publications. 2007, 27, 475-478.
- Cengel, A. Yunus, A.J. Ghajar. Heat and Mass Transfer: Fundamentals &applications. New York:McGraw-Hill, 4th ed., Print. 2011.
- S.P. Karthick, R.H. Catherine. Modelling and analysis of solar photovoltaic thermal collector. International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. 2007, 3, 8467-8478.
- Tsung-Lin Chou, Zun-Hao Shih, Hwen-Fen Hong, Cheng-Nan Han, Kou-Ning Chiang. Investigation of the thermal performance of high-concentration photovoltaic solar cell package. International Journal of Energy and Environment. 2004, 41, 486-497.
- H.N. Panchal, P. K. Shah. Modelling and verification of single slope solar still use ANSYS-CFX. International Journal of Energy and Environment. 2011, 2, 985-998.
- Khelifa, K. Touafek, B.H. Moussa, I. Tabet, H.B. Cheikhl E Hocine,H. Haloui. Analysis of a Hybrid PVT.Materials for Renewable Energy, Environment and Sustainability. 2015, 74, 835-843.
- M.S. Aubain, P.R. Bandarau. Determination of diminished thermal conductivity in silicon thin films. Applied Physics. 2010, 97, 2531-2542.
- R.H.Rajib, S.M. Rana, M.R. Hasan, R.A. Amin. Simulation of mono layer solar cell using COMSOL. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology. 2014, 3, 1934-1938.
- B. C. Chakravarty, S.N. Singh, B.K. Das. Useof tin oxide as antireflection coating. IEEE Electronic Device. 1983, 4(5), 138-139.
- D.Brandl, T. Mach, C. Hounaeir. Analysis of transient thermal behaviour of solar honey comb. Solar Energy, 2016, 123, 1-16.
- P. Ranjitha, V. Somashekar, A. Jamuna. Numerical analysis of solar flat plate collector for circular pipe configuration by using CFD. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology. 2013, 2, 3356-3362.
- D. Brandl, R. Katlenecker, R. Steere, C. Neururu, T. Mach, C. Hounaeir. CFD assessment on solar honey comb facades with PV cells. Solar Energy. 2015, 118, 155-174.
- There are currently no refbacks.